It’s not a vacation at East Silent Lake Resort without S’mores! So why not try out this S’mores Pie recipe from www.cookingclassy.com for something new with the family. This recipe will be a great dessert for everyone to enjoy while at the lake this summer.
• 10 graham cracker whole sheets, finely crushed
• 7 Tbsp butter (I used salted)
• 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used Ghirardelli)
• 6 oz milk chocolate, finely chopped (or an additional 6 oz semi-sweet if desired, I used Symphony)
• 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, diced into pieces
• 2/3 cup heavy cream
• 3 large egg whites
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1/8 tsp (slightly heaping) cream of tartar
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions: For the crust:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, stir together graham crackers and melted butter until evenly moistened.
3. Firmly press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch (about 1 1/4-inches deep) pie plate.
4. Bake in preheated oven 9 – 10 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
For the filling:
1. Place chopped semi-sweet, milk chocolate and 2 Tbsp butter in a mixing bowl.
2. Bring cream just to a very light boil in a small saucepan. Pour hot cream over chocolate mixture and stir until melted (if the chocolate doesn’t melt entirely, you can put the mixture in the microwave and melt on 50% power in 15 second intervals, stirring well between until smooth).
3. Pour mixture into cooled crust and spread into an even layer.
4. Cover with foil (don’t allow foil to touch chocolate mixture) and chill in refrigerator 45 minutes – 1 hour until set.
For the topping:
1. Add 3 egg whites (don’t allow one drop of egg yolk) and sugar to a very clean heatproof bowl and set over a saucepan of barely simmering water.
2. Heat mixture, stirring constantly, until it registers 160 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 3 – 5 minutes.
3. Remove bowl from saucepan, add cream of tartar and beat mixture with an electric stand mixer on moderately high speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 – 9 minutes.
4. Spread over set chocolate filling. Toast topping with a kitchen torch.
5. Cut into slices and serve.
For more fun S’mores recipes check out East Silent Lake Resort’s Pinterest page and “More S’mores at ESR | Recipes” board.